Data Strategy Director
Essence, part of GroupM, is a global data and measurement-driven media agency whose mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. Clients include Google, Flipkart, NBCUniversal, L'Oréal and the Financial Times. The agency is more than 2,000 people strong, manages $4B in annualized media spend and deploys campaigns in 121 markets via 21 offices in APAC, EMEA and North America. Visit essenceglobal.com for more information and follow us on Twitter at @essenceglobal.
About the role
Data Strategy involves transforming the way our clients think about, organize and orchestrate data & technology to deliver more timely, engaging and meaningful brand experience for their customers. This involves thinking through their overall design of their ad stack, how they capture, manage and segment audience data, how they augment this with strategic partnerships, the shape of their reporting data pipeline and the things that need to flow through it, right down to the policies they need to adopt to govern the management of their data in a safe and compliant way.
This particular role has a strong focus on audience data management and ad tech.
Some of the things we’d like you to do:
- Be the solutions architect for the client ad stack, identifying and configuring the technology, data and processes that improve media targeting, and deepen analytical learning. This will encompass comprehensive audits of a client’s current setup, as well as leading data and tech partner evaluations, and defining measurement frameworks to capture the most valuable signals.
- Take the lead in designing audience segmentation programs in partnership with Essence client teams, improving their understanding of basic segmentation logic, rule building and the technologies that enable this
- Take the lead in data partner discovery, vetting, onboarding and cataloguing, providing the relevant Essence teams with a view on the latest solutions in the market, as well as current trends and issues relating to data management and audience targeting
- Steward the implementation of global audience data strategy programs, overseeing how client data is captured, managed, enhanced (through partnerships), deployed and measured for effectiveness, working closely with adjacent disciplines in Strategy, Planning, AdOps, Activation and Analytics to ensure audience management best practices flow down into campaigns
- Be a partner to Essence’s User Experience team to help shape the agency’s data-driven creative offering, creating a bridge between media and creative teams that is rooted in shared data
- Act as a mentor to individuals both inside and outside of your team, encouraging them to develop their full potential, and helping them develop their longer-term career plans
- Maintain strong, effective relationships with multiple clients, and key suppliers within your specific area of expertise. Build strong relationships with your senior clients, including communicating with them on subjects outside your remit, and build a reputation for excellence in communication
- Operating as in-agency expert / trusted advisor to clients on all data management issues, including regulatory trends, whilst showing an excellent understanding of the overall media landscape
A bit about yourself:
- Likely to have 8+ years experience in a digital media agency (most recently in a programmatic, product or data management team), or have commensurate experience in client-side digital roles, or at a technology company whose focus is advertising data management
- Hands-on experience managing audience data, for your own company or your clients. This includes, a working knowledge of the leading Data
- Management Platforms (DMPs), knowledge of data onboarding and cross-device matching approaches and an understanding of the tools and technologies that can activate this data (e,g, DSPs)
- Experience of managing a team, with demonstrable skills in guiding the development of direct reports, team building and relationship management skills
- Exceptional verbal & written communication skills, able to build and develop strong relationships with, and communicate effectively with people at all levels of seniority; in-agency, client-side, and in the supplier space. Demonstrating the ability to think on your feet, present well, and effectively influence those around you
- Able to identify key opportunities to innovate, displaying inventiveness and willingness to challenge existing standards
- Strong organizational skills, including experience with resource management, to effectively manage smooth flow of work through agency
- Exceptional diligence and attention to detail as well as resourcefulness and quick, practical thinking in a demanding environment
- Experience with DoubleClick Audience Centre, Adobe Audience Manager, BlueKai, Krux, eXelate or other DMPs and their marketplaces
- Experience working with 3rd party onboarders such as LiveRamp, Neustar or DLX
- Experience of other DoubleClick products such as DBM, DCM, Google Analytics
- Experience with the data management tools of paid social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Snapchat
- Experience with dynamic creative optimization and creative management platforms
- Experience managing across multiple countries / languages
What you can expect from Essence
Essence’s mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. We do this by employing the world’s very best talent to solve some of the toughest challenges of today’s digital marketing landscape. It’s important that we hire people whose values reflect those of our own: genuine, results-focused, daring and insightful. As an Essence employee, we promise you a workplace that invests in your career, cares for you and is fun and engaging. We believe these factors create a workplace where you can be yourself and do amazing work.