Associate Director, Display Activation
Essence, part of GroupM, is a global data and measurement-driven media agency whose mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. Clients include Google, Flipkart, NBCUniversal, L'Oréal and the Financial Times. The agency is more than 1,800 people strong, manages $4B in annualized media spend and deploys campaigns in 106 markets via 21 offices in APAC, EMEA and North America. Visit essenceglobal.com for more information and follow us on Twitter at @essenceglobal.
About the role
The Media Activation team is responsible for providing thoughtful and exciting recommendations for Search, Social, Display, and Video, owning supplier relationships, and then executing those recommendations expertly. The Media Activation team leverages their mastery of each channel to make sure its recommendations are consistently excellent and innovative, and that in-channel performance and data integrity is maximized.
The Associate Display Activation Director is the display lead for designated clients/campaigns, and is responsible for delivering category-defining capabilities and services across display and video inventory purchased via display platforms and Reservation. Success in this role involves providing strategic insight across a breadth of channels, helping to evolve best practice within the display channel specifically, and leading a team (including ultimate responsibility for quality of work within this team).
Some of the things we’d like you to do:
- Support the team Client Director & Media Activation Practice Lead in capacity planning & resource management for the team
- Oversea development, roll out, and adherence of display best practices
- Develop strong relationships with your client, and key suppliers, leading team communications with these stakeholders. Be able to communicate with clients on subjects outside your remit, and provide them with useful insight, working independently
- Bring in-depth knowledge of all programmatic platforms (e.g. - DSPs , DMPs, etc) operating as in-agency expert in your field of specialism, whilst showing a good understanding of the overall media landscape
- Manage and develop display and video vendor relationships
- Identify new platforms, partners & integrations, evaluate these (and existing platforms) over time and maintain a POV here
- Develop thought leadership pieces & case studies throughout the course of the year to demonstrate role within wider industry as a display expert
- Deliver quarterly, semi-annual, or annual updates on work quality as it relates to owned workstreams
- Gain a strategic understanding of the client’s business and KPIs, and how display campaign optimizations meet those KPIs
- Ownership of in-channel planning and forecasting, testing, measurement, and optimization
- Manage a team of 2-5 direct reports, a larger team of up to 12
- Lead through vision, values, and model leadership behaviors while championing and facilitating change in a positive manner
- Provide timely and actionable feedback to the team to aid in their development
- Strong and effective communication across all levels; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships both internally and externally
- Thoughtfully craft career development plans for your reports and contribute to the development of training materials for the department
A bit about yourself:
- Bachelor’s degree in a Media/Advertising or a related field
- Expert knowledge in programmatic landscape
- Approximately 5-7 years experience in a digital media agency or ad tech company, minimum 4 years of media buying experience.
- Specialization in DSP platforms (e.g. DBM, TubeMogul, AppNexus), or with SSP/Ad Exchange platforms (e.g. AdX, Rubicon). Experience with reservation-based buying, including vendor management and negotiation and IO handling
- Detailed knowledge of challenges for mobile & video in programmatic - e.g. SDK, VPAID/VAST
- Experience with data integration projects - e.g. API, DMP, Analytics, etc
- Proficiency in Excel (Pivot Tables, VLookups, etc)
- Strong understanding of optimization levers & testing approaches across media buying platforms
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, are particularly important in developing client relationships and maintaining efficient communication across the team
- Great analysis skills (including quantitative analysis) and confidence in making information based decisions
- Adept at working within team and partnering across teams
- Strong leadership capability
What you can expect from Essence
Essence’s mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. We do this by employing the world’s very best talent to solve some of the toughest challenges of today’s digital marketing landscape. It’s important that we hire people whose values reflect those of our own: genuine, results-focused, daring and insightful. As an Essence employee, we promise you a workplace that invests in your career, cares for you and is fun and engaging. We believe these factors create a workplace where you can be yourself and do amazing work.