Media Activation Director, Programmatic
Essence, part of GroupM, is a global data and measurement-driven media agency whose mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. Clients include Google, Flipkart, NBCUniversal, L'Oréal and the Financial Times. The agency is more than 1,800 people strong, manages $4B in annualized media spend and deploys campaigns in 106 markets via 21 offices in APAC, EMEA and North America. Visit essenceglobal.com for more information and follow us on Twitter at @essenceglobal.
About the role
The Media Activation team is responsible for providing thoughtful and exciting recommendations for Search, Social, Display, and Video, owning supplier relationships and then executing those recommendations expertly. The Media Activation team leverages their mastery of each channel to make sure its recommendations are consistently excellent and innovative, and that in-channel performance and data integrity are maximized.
The Display Activation Director acts as our client, NBCU’s- senior partner and expert for display media - including Video, Reservation, and Programmatic. This role is responsible for delivering best in class Programmatic and Video campaigns for Universal Pictures such as Get Out, Pitch Perfect 3, Atomic Blonde and more. Success in this role involves providing strategic insight across a breadth of clients and channels, owning best practice and optimization strategies within the display channel specifically, and leading a team up to 20 (including ultimate responsibility for the quality of work within this team). This role provides direct support to the VP of Display Activation in NA.
Some of the things we’d like you to do:
- Support the team Client Leads & Media Activation Practice Lead in capacity planning & resource management for the team
- Develop strong relationships with key clients and suppliers, leading team communications with these stakeholders.
- Manage and develop display and video vendor relationships
- Contributing to agency-wide continuous improvement projects regarding processes and quality standards
- Managing risks & opportunities for the display channel across the team, including escalating necessary issues and brand safety
- Ownership and oversight of new ad tech products onboarding (DV360, Amazon DSP, Trade Desk, YouTube)
- Develop thought leadership pieces & case studies throughout the course of the year to galvanize role within the wider industry as a programmatic expert (eg, OTT)
- Deliver quarterly client presentations on work quality as it relates to the programmatic roadmap
- Gain a more strategic understanding of our clients’ business and KPIs, and keep up to date with latest industry news and be proactive in spotting trends, product releases, and other opportunities which could enhance our activity
- Motivational Leader, leading by example while encouraging and coaching juniors on the team
- Lead through vision, values, and model leadership behaviors while championing and facilitating change in a positive manner
- Provide timely and actionable feedback to the team to aid in their development, improvement, and progress. Provide awareness and recognition for jobs well done
- Strong and effective communication across all levels; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships both internally and externally
- Career development and coaching for Supervisors and Associate Directors
A bit about yourself:
- Bachelor’s degree in a Media/Advertising or a related field
- Proven experience at Director level in a Digital Media or Advertising role
- Approximately 8+ years experience in a digital media agency, minimum of 6 years of Programmatic media buying experience, a minimum of 4 years of people management experience
- Knowledge of:
- Expert knowledge of DV360, Trade Desk, DCM, and YouTube
- Experience with reservation-based buying, including vendor management and negotiation and IO handling
- Detailed knowledge of challenges for mobile & video in programmatic - e.g. SDK, VPAID/VAST
- Experience with data integration projects - e.g. API, DMP, Analytics, etc
- Experience with ACR partners and measurement
- A passion for everything digital, with an active interest and understanding of online advertising industry trends
- Strong understanding of optimization levers & testing approaches
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, are particularly important in developing client relationships and maintaining efficient communication across the team
- Great analysis skills (including quantitative analysis) and confidence in making information-based decisions
- Experience with running campaigns across multiple countries/languages
- Entertainment experience is a plus
What you can expect from Essence
Essence’s mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. We do this by employing the world’s very best talent to solve some of the toughest challenges of today’s digital marketing landscape. It’s important that we hire people whose values reflect those of our own: genuine, results-focused, daring and insightful. As an Essence employee, we promise you a workplace that invests in your career, cares for you and is fun and engaging. We believe these factors create a workplace where you can be yourself and do amazing work.